Job Opportunity – Research Assistant – Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
There is an opportunity for a motivated Molecular Biologist with good knowledge in Microbiology and Biochemistry to work for an innovative, world leading industrial biotechnology company based just outside Edinburgh. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively in a Molecular Biology laboratory, multitask to reach tight project deadlines and show an aptitude for learning new skills. Attention to experimental rigour and the ability to carefully record methods and results is essential. Good communication and presentation skills are desirable.
The candidate will have:
- A BSc (Hons) or Masters in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry (or closely aligned subject). Over qualified candidates will not be considered for this position.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of recombinant protein purification methods like affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography, ideally using the ÄKTA system.
- Excellent numeracy skills and a strong problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to work both independently, and as part of a team.
- The candidate must be able to multitask and have excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills and a flexible hard-working approach are key attributes for this position.
Other Desirable Skills (Not Essential) include:
- Relevant laboratory experience in molecular biology methods such as PCR, cloning, DNA assembly technology, recombinant protein expression and electrophoresis analysis.
- Experience in using a Quality Management System (SOP’s, RA’s etc).
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written.
- Knowledge in screening methodology, enzyme biochemistry and genetic engineering.
- Knowledge of standard bioinformatics software packages.
- Knowledge in handling a variety of the most commonly used microbial hosts.
This is a lab-based role and candidates should be highly self-motivated, precise and able to work to tight timelines. In return we offer a friendly and stimulating environment in a successful and high growth company with possibilities to develop your career in the life sciences. The ability to integrate well into the existing team is essential.
- Position: Research Assistant – Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
- Closing date: 21st of December 2018
- Location: Roslin, Midlothian
- Hours: Monday to Friday 40 hours per week
- Work pattern: Days
- Duration: Permanent
- Pension: Available
- Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience + inclusion in profit sharing scheme, health expenses cover, life assurance
If you think you are a suitable candidate please email your C.V along with an attached covering letter to our recruitment office — email@example.com