We are a high growth SME, providing world class engineering biology that allows our customers to advance and deliver products addressing key global challenges in human health and a more sustainable world.
We are a fun and dynamic team of 32 people with a passion for science and delivering for our customers.
There is an exciting opportunity for a Fermentation Research Assistant with excellent knowledge in Microbiology to join our team. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively within the Fermentation Department, multitask to reach tight project deadlines and show an aptitude for learning new skills. Attention to experimental detail and the ability to carefully record and present methods and results is essential. Good interpersonal communication between members of the fermentation team is also required. Formal oral presentation and report writing skills are desirable.
In return, the successful candidate will be embedded within a dynamic, sociable team in a lab-based role with flexible working hours. This position will be based at brand new facilities at the Roslin Innovation Centre where there is regular bus links to the City Centre, free on-site parking, an on-site gym and several on-site cafes – the perfect setting to meet colleagues over a coffee in view of the Pentland Hills.
The candidate will have:
- An Honours Bachelor’s degree or a Masters in Microbiology/Industrial Biotechnology (or closely aligned subject). Over qualified candidates will not be considered for this position.
- The ideal candidate will have previous experience of setting up, carrying out and running bioreactors but in the absence of this level of experience a good knowledge and practical ability in aseptic technique, shake flask culture, agar plating, gram staining would be acceptable.
- At least two years of industry experience is advantageous but not essential.
- Excellent numeracy skills and a strong problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to work both independently, and as part of a team.
- The candidate must be able to multitask, have excellent attention to detail and time management skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and a flexible hard-working approach are key attributes for this position.
- Good interpersonal communication with team members.
Other Desirable Skills (Not Essential) include:
- Experience in working under a Quality Management System (SOP’s, RA’s etc).
- Excellent formal communication skills; both oral and written.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology and analytical chemistry
- Knowledge and experience of DoE software packages.
- Knowledge and experience in handling a variety of the most commonly used microbial hosts (Escherichia coli, Pichia pastoris, Bacillus subtilis, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, etc.).
- Position: Research Assistant – Fermentation
- Closing date: Friday the 8th of July 2022
- Location: Roslin, Midlothian
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Work pattern: Days (Typically Mon-Fri but may include occasional weekend work)
- Duration: Permanent
- Pension: Available
- Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience + inclusion in profit sharing scheme, health expenses cover and life insurance
Ingenza believes that we best serve our customers by creating and supporting an inclusive and diverse team. All the qualified applicants will be considered regardless of their race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, disabilities or age.