We are a high growth SME, providing world class engineering biology that allows our customers to advance and deliver products addressing key global challenges in human health and a more sustainable world.
We are a fun and dynamic team of 38 people with a passion for science and delivering for our customers.
There is an exciting opportunity for a Molecular Biologist with knowledge and preferably industrial experience in Molecular Biology, Microbiology and Biochemistry to join our team. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively in a Molecular Biology laboratory, multitask to reach tight project deadlines and show an aptitude for learning new skills as well as leading by example as a Senior member of our Molecular Biology department. Attention to experimental rigour and the ability to carefully record and present methods and results is essential. Excellent communication and presentation skills are required.
In return, the successful candidate will be embedded within a dynamic, sociable team in a lab-based role with flexible working hours. This position will be based at brand new facilities at the Roslin Innovation Centre where there is regular bus links to the City Centre, free on-site parking, an on-site gym and several on-site cafes – the perfect setting to meet colleagues over a coffee in view of the Pentland Hills.
The candidate will have:
- A PhD or a Masters in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry/Industrial Biotechnology (or closely aligned subject).
- For Master-level candidates, at least two years of industry experience is essential; industrial experience for PhD-level candidates is advantageous
- Excellent knowledge and relevant laboratory experience in molecular biology techniques such as electroporation, PCR, vector design, cloning methods (Gibson Assembly, Golden Gate, traditional endonuclease/ligase reactions, etc.), electrophoresis and aseptic techniques.
- Good knowledge of recombinant protein purification and analysis methods like affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography (ideally using the ÄKTA system), SDS-PAGE and Western Blot analysis.
- Excellent numeracy skills and a strong problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to plan, conduct and troubleshoot experiments both independently, and as part of a team.
- The candidate must be able to multitask, have excellent attention to detail and time management skills.
- Previous line management experience would be advantageous
- Excellent organisational skills and a flexible hard-working approach are key attributes for this position.
Other Desirable Skills include:
- Experience in working under a Quality Management System (SOP’s, RA’s etc).
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written.
- Knowledge and experience in screening methodology, enzyme biochemistry.
- Knowledge and experience of standard bioinformatics software packages.
- Knowledge and experience in handling a variety of the most commonly used microbial hosts (Escherichia coli, Pichia pastoris, Bacillus subtilis, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, etc.).
- Experience in Microbiology/Fermentation settings
- Position: Senior Scientist I – Molecular Biology
- Closing date: Friday the 2nd of December
- Location: Roslin, Midlothian
- Hours: Monday to Friday 40 hours per week
- Work pattern: Days
- Duration: Permanent
- Pension: Available
- Salary: Dependent on qualifications and experience + inclusion in profit sharing scheme, health expenses cover, life insurance and employee benefits and rewards platform with access to range of deals and discounts
Ingenza believes that we best serve our customers by creating and supporting an inclusive and diverse team. All the qualified applicants will be considered regardless of their race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nationality, disabilities or age.